When couples work together to get out of debt, the results can be amazing. If you and your partner want to get out of debt you don’t need to wait till you are overcome by debt you can start today.
How to get started?
Both of you need to:
- Talk openly and honestly about your money and your debts (don’t play the blame game).
- Identify those life goals that you both recognize as important and worth achieving.
- Agree to, then set up and follow, a plan for managing your money and achieving your identified goals.
- Be realistic – create a doable plan that will work for both of you.
- Monitor your plan together at least once a month and chart your success.
- Keep it relevant by adjusting your plan as your situation and goals change over time.
- Celebrate your success together.
Set realistic goals
It might seem strange to discuss goals – after all the goal is to get out of debt – right?
Getting out of debt is a very important goal, but taking the time to identify your real-life goals as a couple, will help you to stick with it when the going gets tough.
Once you are out of debt – knowing what your financial goals as a couple are, and following a solid plan to achieve those goals – will empower both of you to achieve so much more in life.
There are many reasons people are afraid to talk to their partners about money, but you might discover that working as a team to build a successful financial life together – is worth the effort.
Why not look over our four-part plan, it is a great, free way to get the conversation started.