Scanner Price Accuracy Code
This can be classified as one of those not known or little used price code checks in Canada that you should be aware of. The Scanner Price Accuracy Code is aimed at helping to keep scanning prices accurate. We’ve all been there, you pick up an item that was on sale, yet to only find at the cash register, or when you get home to review your receipt, that there was no sale, or the scan price was not correct.
- Clearly establish retailer assurance to scanner price correctness;
- Offer retailers with a reliable national framework for handling with scanner price accuracy matters; and
- Offer the retail industry with a tool for consumer compensation in scanner price accuracy cases.
This applies to UPC (Universal Product Code), Bar Codes and or PLU (price lookup), merchandise that is sold in stores in Canada. See list below for available stores. With the exclusion of goods not easily available to the public and individually ticket-priced items.
If you were at Walmart for example and the UPC for the item you were purchasing was not correct. If the price on the product at your checkout is higher than the advertised/displayed price, then the lower price will be honored,
Now, this is where it starts to get a little more interesting. If the proper price of the item is $10 or lower, the retailer will give you the product free of charge
If the item is more than $10, then the store will need to give the customer a $10 discount off of correct pricing.
The total policy list can be found at http://www.retailcouncil.org/scanner-accuracy, and this can explain the responsibilities of the store as well.
Signatures to Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code
Neighborhood Pharmacy Association of Canada Supporting Companies:
- Shoppers Drug Mart
- London Drugs
- Lawton Drug Stores
- Lovell Drugs
RCC Supporting Companies:
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- The Home Depot Canada
- Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd.
- Toys r Us
- Wal-Mart Canada Corp.
- Giant Tiger Stores Ltd.
- The North West Company
- Best Buy
- 2 Home Hardware franchisees
- The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company of Canada Limited
- Canada Safeway Limited
- Loblaw Companies Limited
- Sobeys Inc.
- Metro Inc.
- Thrifty Foods
CFIG Supporting Companies:
- Thrifty Foods
- Overwaitea Food Group
- The Harry Watson Group
- Longos Brothers Fruit Markets
- Federated Co-operatives Limited
- + 1374 independent locations