Finding a Life Beyond the Chains of Debt
Many of the people we work with spent years believing that credit card debt was ‘normal’. They felt that consumer debt was ok – because there was no other way to pay for the lifestyle they thought they had to have.
When we introduce them to the fiscally-sound and wise ideas of thrift and saving – and encourage them to spend below their means, it is often as if a light bulb turns on in their heads.
Clearly, they had heard of the dangers of debt before, but when they are working with us, they are in the process of removing their debts and getting a fresh financial start. At that point they can see how wonderful a debt-free life would be – and better yet, they know they can achieve it.
It is exciting to be part of a client’s discovery of their ‘new normal’ – and the realization that their future will be more financially sound.
Finding a ‘New Normal’ for Yourself
You do not need to wait until you are forced to declare bankruptcy or file a consumer proposal to find a ‘new normal’ for yourself.
Start by taking the time to figure out what your goals in life really are, exactly what your current finances are, and what you need to do to achieve your goals. To help you with this process, we have a free, simple 5 step plan to get you get started.
What is a ‘New Normal’?
It varies from person to person – but in general it includes things like:
- having a plan for your future that involves achieving the goals you really want to achieve,
- tracking your goals and the actions you need to take to achieve them,
- having an emergency savings fund that is only for emergencies and is enough for 3 to 6 months of living expenses,
- saving for things before you buy them,
- never using your credit cards as a source of income,
- celebrating your frugality – rather than your latest meaningless purchase, and
- judging yourself by the quality of your character and not by the things you have.
Change is scary – but if you want to start living the life you really want, you need to find a ‘new normal’ that will help you achieve your goals.