Family Gifts on a Budget
Some time ago, we put up a blog on Very Affordable Gifts that was full of thoughtful and useful gifts for people on a very tight budget.
In addition to reminding you about that blog, we wanted to share some budget-wise family gift ideas.
Budget-Wise Family Gift Giving
- It is important to let your extended family know that you have decided to cut back on gift giving – and encourage them to do the same where you are concerned. Most will understand, and many will admire you for doing what they have long wanted to do.
- Help your children develop reasonable expectations for the gifts they will be receiving.
- If you are having a child’s birthday party – keep the costs down and focus on inexpensive food and fun for the kids. Don’t make it a completion with your neighbour.
- You will be helping your children, if you encourage them to make the gifts that they give to other family members. From the almost-perfect scarf (knitted by a 10 year-old), to the plaster-of-Paris palm print of a 3 year-old, they will learn that hand-made gifts from the heart, are the best gifts of all.
- Where possible have your children make the cards you will send out to family members – they will be greatly appreciated and cherished!
- Where appropriate, consider giving a thoughtful, second-hand gift. One of our ladies told us of receiving a wonderful second hand book that was filled with exactly the type of short stories she enjoys. She received it from a niece, who, not having much money to spend on gifts, had searched long and hard to find the right gift for a favourite aunt.
- Sometimes a letter or inexpensive card with gentle humour that helps someone to smile, can be the best gift of all.
Remember to set up a budget for family gifts. Planning ahead will enable you to share the love and help to keep your family out of debt.