Budget-Wise Family Fun in the GTA
For many of our newer clients, especially those with children – living on a budget can be a challenge when it comes to entertainment. Many people do not realize how much they are spending on entertainment until they set up their budgets.
While staying home and watching TV with a bowl of popcorn can be budget-wise and fun for the family – there are great and affordable family adventures in the Greater Toronto Area that even the most dollar-conscious can enjoy.
To help you and your family take advantage of some of these wonderful, cost-saving opportunities we have put together a few examples. Once you get into the budget-smart and family-wise way of planning – you will discover your own ways to have active family fun and stay within your budget.
- The Toronto Public Library provides Free family passes (courtesy of Sun Life Financial) that are available at many branches, for a wide range of great attractions including the Art Gallery of Ontario, the Toronto Zoo, the Ontario Science Center and so much more. You will need to have a Library card – but those are also Free. There are a limited number of passes, so you need to check out conditions and availability first.
- The Toronto Public Library has over 11 million items in its collection at over 99 branches! Not only can you be very well read for Free – the Toronto Public Library also hosts exciting Free events, activities, programs, and exhibits year round.
- The Mississauga Library System – has 18 branches, and 1.5 million items in its collection – and membership is Free. In addition to great children’s programs, the Mississauga Library System also hosts art events, films, lectures and other great, Free family events.
- Use your Metropass to get substantial discounts on admission prices for a wide range of great local attractions with TTC Metropass Hot Dealz Offers.
- The TTC has amazing $11 weekend and holiday family day-passes for standard TTC routes. That is $11 for a whole day of bus riding for- one adult with up to 5 kids (under 19 years old), or two adults with up to 4 kids (under 19 years old), or two adults.
- Take in the all the Free Toronto festivals and events – visit the Toronto Festival and Events Calendar and check out all the fun!
- Take yourself and your family outdoors! The Greater Toronto Area offers exciting and diverse trails and parks that include more beauty, nature and fun activities than you ever thought you would find in a major urban center.
FREE (and amazing) outdoor Toronto area experiences for you to enjoy:
- High Park, complete with Children’s Garden, playground, wildlife, acres of natural growth – and year-round beauty.
- Jack Darling Park in Mississauga – with a beautiful waterfront beach, picnic areas and an off-leash park for your dog.
- Riverdale Farm – this 7.5 acre farm features wooded areas, ponds, gardens and farm animals. Year-round activities and the sheer joy of farm life, make this a repeat family adventure.
- Bluffer’s Park – situated between Lake Ontario and the Scarborough Bluffs – enjoy a day at the beach.
- Erindale Park in Mississauga – huge and beautiful 222 acre park with tons of activities and amenities.
- Pickering’s Beachfront Park – stroll the boardwalk, play on the beach, and enjoy a picnic lunch in one of Ontario’s most unique natural settings.
- Greater Toronto Area Trails – over 400km of interconnected trails are available for your use in the GTA. Walk, run, bike, hike – and even cross country ski (in some locations) as you explore wetlands, meadows, riverbanks, forests, wildlife and so much more. From Mississauga, to North York, to Pickering and all around the GTA, explore your exciting trail options.
- Discovery Walks – are self-guided walks that will help you and your family to gain a new appreciation for where you live.
- Discover the great outdoors year-round in the GTA!
Did we miss any of your favourites? Let us know!